Sunday, January 28, 2007

Yikes, I've been switched...

To New Blogger. Nervous. But no smoke has come out of the keyboard yet. There are no odd smells, strange drops in room temperature, or other harbingers of disaster. So I am choosing to be optimistic.

Did lots of housework yesterday morning instead of studying. All 3 dogs were very helpful. After we'd finished the vacuuming, floor scrubbing, rug shaking, and light bulb changing, they were exhausted.

Today I took Wilson Wolfhound for a long walk in the snow and ice and cold, with people to meet and snowbanks to sniff. He is very happy indeed.

Church discernment continues. More conversation coming up this week. Hard, hard stuff. I find that I am just not as optimistic as many others are. Maybe because I've seen things go further south... Most seminary students in mainline denominations seem to yearn for a bit more of a "congregational" approach, seeing the very real advantage of freedom to be more responsive to the local demographics. However, the corresponding disadvantage is that, when you're on your own, you're on your own when it's going south as much as when it's rosy. I know there's no perfect situation. But I'd vote for some degree of shared understanding so that, when something goes south, you don't have to first fight about whether it's REALLY south before deciding what to do.

In theology lingo, my anthropology is much lower than many people's--that is to say, I don't think humanity is just getting better and better eventually to merge with perfection. I tend to think we are born in a condition of radical brokenness, and that if left to ourselves we aren't very good at being loving neighbors to anyone. Somehow we need the help of one another, the help of God, and a healthy dose of willingness to examine and learn from our own behavior to help us live in ways that are not totally dominated by brokenness. And, no, I don't think we all have to wander around feeling awful about ourselves. I think it's not a matter for personal guilt and shame, it's just life.

Will try to be more faithful in posting. I have good motivation: I have papers to work on, so won't I be tempted to blog instead? Of course I will!

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Palwick said...

I agree with you about the anthropology part; I tend to be pretty skeptical of humans, too. And good luck with the papers!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home